“Remember, the first wife is normally the one that lives over the store, who puts hubby through school, who works and raises the kids,” says divorce lawyer Lynne Gold-Bikin, former chair of the American Bar Association’s Family Law Section. “The second wife gets not only the fruits of his career building but also the benefits of his midlife interest in family. Now, when she has the baby, he’s in the delivery room–he wasn’t there the first time. And she gets the fur coat.”
Gold-Bikin believes that First Wives get the shaft. Shared Parenting advocate Rachel Forrest of Fathers and Families of Massachusetts believes that the family law system has become so stacked against fathers that it is Second Wives who often are getting the raw deal.
First Wives squared off against Second Wives on His Side with Glenn Sacks on November 21.
To learn more First Wives and Second Wives, see:
- Hell Hath no Fury–The First Wives Club Packs Multiplexes with Women Who Recognize the Plot and Welcome the Message: Get Even, then Get Over It (Time Magazine, 11/7/96)
- A Second Wife Speaks Out, by Margaret S., a His Side listener
- Glenn’s co-authored column Why Are There so Many Women in the Fathers’ Movement? (Minneapolis Star-Tribune, 6/21/02)
- Phyllis Chesler’s “Is Every Woman One Divorce Away From Financial Disaster? A true story from the “ex” files (On The Issues, Winter, 1996)
- Glenn’s co-authored column Tennessee Appellate Court Sends Message: Second Families Count (Memphis Commercial Appeal, 8/23/02).
- His Side: The Second Wives Movement (12/14/03)
- Second Wives Fight For First Place In Their Marriages (CNN, 2/3/96)
- Glenn’s column American Fathers Get a Bad Rap (Cybercast News Service, 6/17/02)
- His Side with Glenn Sacks: A Mother’s Day Tribute to Mothers Who Co-Parent (5/9/04)
- Glenn’s column Many Divorced Dads Struggle to Remain in Their Children’s Lives (Long Beach Times, 6/5/03)