For decades conservatives and conservative Christians have claimed that they are fighting to “defend the family,” when in reality they have wasted an enormous amount of time focusing on trivial issues like gay marriage. At the same time they have ignored the forces which are hurting children, destroying fatherhood, and tearing families apart. These are the family law system, the federal financial incentives which help shape and drive that system, and the shortsighted mothers who place their emotions or convenience above their children’s needs for their fathers.
During the past six months a major conservative has finally begun to confront the issues generating mass fatherlessness. Conservative writer, commentator and activist Phyllis Schlafly is urging fellow conservatives to re-examine the Violence Against Women Act currently up for renewal in Congress, and is sounding the alarm over the harm misguided feminists have done to fathers and the children who love them and need them.
Schlafly joined Glenn on His Side with Glenn Sacks on July 24, 2005.
To learn more, see:
- Phyllis Schlafly’s Time to Dispose of Radical Feminist Pork (Human Events, 7/19/05)
- Glenn’s column VAWA Renewal Provides Opportunity to Stop Destruction of Innocent Cops’ Careers (Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, 7/19/05)
- Congress Should Kill Discriminatory Domestic Violence Act by Wendy McElro
- Glenn’s column Domestic Violence Series Substitutes Emotion for Facts (San Francisco Chronicle, 4/8/05)
- Respecting Accuracy in Domestic Abuse Reporting’s Analysis of VAWA’s Flaws
- The Safe Homes for Children and Families Coalition
- Stop Abuse For Everyone’ s Recommendations Regarding VAWA 2005
- Glenn’s column Baseball Player’s Domestic Violence Arrest Demonstrates How Men are Presumed Guilty in Domestic Disputes (Los Angeles Daily Journal, San Francisco Daily Journal, 8/8/02)
- Stephen Baskerville’s No Restraint on Restraining Orders (Human Events, 8/5/02)
- Glenn’s column New Report on Maternal Homicide Crisis: Myth-Making and Manbashing (Lexington Herald-Leader, 1/3/05)
- Glenn’s column ‘Fatal Fathers’ Myth Promoted in Wake of Peterson, Hacking Cases (Daily Breeze [Los Angeles], 9/17/04)
- His Side: Police Officers Unite to Defend Their Livelihoods Against False DV Allegations (4/10/05)
- His Side: Restraining Orders: Saviors of Abused Women or Child Custody Tactic? (2/27/05)
- His Side: Father Spends 3 Months in Jail for Returning Phone Call (9/7/03)
- His Side: Liz Taylor’s Son-in-Law Says Taylor, Daughter Kidnapped His Two Year-Old Son (4/11/04)
- His Side: Seattle Press Brands Cops as Batterers (8/3/03)
- A comprehensive discussion of the both the politics and practical aspects of dealing with false allegations of domestic violence can be found in The Father’s Emergency Guide to Divorce-Custody Battle by Robert Seidenberg and William Dawes, Esq.